The broken pieces are glued back together and the first mortar is applied
(Bicentenary post on this blog!)
From the garden of Singraven Estate in Denekamp, the Netherlands I received a faun in my studio this week. It was a cheerful fellow with a flute on his belly. Only he had lost the face; apparently something had fallen on top of it, for the whole right side of his face was missing. What was left of it was lying beside him on the pallet, neatly packed in a container.
What to do? I was asked that he should be restored to its original state as much as possible. I had been given a new block of sandstone.
But actually this stone is just at the end of its lifetime. It would be best if a copy were made in new stone, and that the old one would be put somewhere indoors where it can survive for centuries. For as a result of how it's presently situated, it's strongly in decline now. The Faun had a deep fissure along the layers of the stone (the deposition direction of the stone) on the backside of his head, and other cracks are beginning to form, and the surface of the stone loses its sharpness and becomes more granular. As always it is a matter of balance between cost, value, historical considerations and emotional value.
The same Faun after repairs
In this case I was asked to repair the faun. I glued the pieces back again and remodeled the face with restoration mortar. To imitate the skin of the rest of the stone, I didn't make the features and surface of the repairs too sharp, so that it blends seamlessly into the rest. The tear in the back of his head was carefully opened and filled with a thin liquid mortar for natural stone. After that, the surface of this tear was also remodeled with restoration mortar. Finally the sculpture was cleaned and the repairs were colour-matched.
With a new set of hands and on a new pedestal of the same French limestone the Sacred Heart statue is looking wonderful again. The statue was installed last Friday in a nice place, inside the school where it formerly stood in the basement: College Hageveld in Heemstede. …Read the whole article… →
the statue was missing an arm and had suffered damage to her robe
At the same time as the two sandstone putti at the end of last year I also got the commission of restoring a statue of Diana or Artemis. It turned out to be a casting of the famous sculpture that was made by the Greek sculptor Praxiteles: …Read the whole article… →
As kids, we used to joke that Moses had the first car, because he went up the mountain in his Duckling (a Dutch play on the word for 'all alone' and a nickname for the Citroën 2CV). But this week the statue of Moses really went by car, and his brother Aaron went along with him. …Read the whole article… →
Rusting iron in limestone. This place has already been sealed with cement once before . Because the iron wasn't treated at the time, the problem just continued to stay.
After the rust is cut away, the cause can be seen: the iron was cast in sulfur at the time. A little bit of moisture has a major impact.
The anchor was cut free and made completely bare. Then it is treated against rust and restored with restoration mortar. A temporary solution.
Rusting iron in natural stone will usually cause major damage. For iron expands when it rusts, and in the worst case, will reach up to seven times its original thickness. Last week I came across another example of this, and it was soon clear that the cause lay in the construction itself. …Read the whole article… →