The Cathedral in Utrecht is partly covered in scaffolding at the moment. Specifically a large part of its stonework is being overhauled, and part of this project are 16 large tuffstone crockets, or Gothic leaf shapes adorning the frames of the lancet windows. After several centuries of copying there was not much left of their original shape. That was reason enough to request a reconstruction of their original shape. My colleagues Stide Vos and Serge van Druten have remodeled those crockets and with four sculptors we started sculpting the sixteen flowers in new Weiberner tufa.
One of the facades of the cathedral being restored
Not the design, however, prompted their replacement, but the condition of the stone elements. The original flowers were carved somewhere in the middle of the last century, in the infamous Ettringer tuff stone, and they began to crack and lose parts. Everywhere in the Netherlands constructive sculptural works and stonemasonry parts from Ettringer tuff are being replaced for this reason. On this blog I previously wrote an extensive story about the background of these restorations.
Stides model and my start in new stone
new large crocket in Weiberner tuff
Stide had sculpted a clay model for some of these crockets, and carved this mainly along with Serge in new tuff. Of these sixteen I've only carved one, because meanwhile a whole lot of work for the Eusebius Church in Arnhem had arrived as well: I had at one point as many as fifty large new stone blocks in my yard. More on that in later articles on this blog.
Beeldhouwerijblog.nl is the blog of Koen van Velzen, sculptor in stone and bronze. Look up my website as well: beeldhouwerijvanvelzen.nl
One of the nicest flying buttress figurines from the series 'Noah's Ark’ by Theo van Reijn was now ready to be copied: a Monkey. The creature has an endearing belly, skinny legs and a Big Smile on its snout. And a wig.
That my sawing machine after all of the welding- and tinkering can now cut so accurately is also clearly visible in the pre-cut block. It saves quite a bit …Read the whole article… →
Last week I started on a very interesting challenge: the carving of a new gable stone relief. The project deserves some explanation, because it includes a lot more than just this one relief. …Read the whole article… →
After the previous series of flying buttress statues for the Eusebius Church in Arnhem (read heremore) it has been quiet at my studio for a long time -with regards to the work on the Eusebius church at least. Funding had been allocated for its restoration, but before it's finally on the bank account of the church, apparently a lot of water first needs to pass under the bridge. But now that all suffering is over with, I can speed along with the work on a series of flying buttresses on the north side of the church. …Read the whole article… →
For a building in Amsterdam, I am currently carving four grotesques: ferocious sandstone heads. All four are severely damaged, which was the reason for choosing to replace them. …Read the whole article… →